This silky, creamy from scratch banana cream pie is positively divine. The buttery crust, rich vanilla custard, layers of bananas and whipping cream are kind of amazing. It will quickly become a family favorite!
Handy tools to have for pie making:
From Scratch Banana Cream Pie
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3-4 tbsp ice water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk (2% or higher)
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 large ripe bananas
Blind-Baked Pie Crust
- Preheat oven to 425F
- In medium bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Add cold butter and use pastry cutter or two knives to cut butter into dry mixture until it forms pea-size dough balls
- Drizzle with 3-4 tbsp ice water and form into ball. You don't want it sticky, but it should come together so it can be rolled out
- On lightly floured countertop, use rolling pin to roll dough into 1/8" thick circle
- Gently transfer dough to pie plate and cut off excess dough
- Crimp sides of dough together all around top of crust
- Use foil or parchment to sit inside crust and use dry beans or pie weights to fill up the crust so that the sides of your crust don't collapse inward
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely
- In medium size pot, add sugar, cornstarch and salt. Mix.
- Slowly whisk in milk and whisk often over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- In small bowl, lightly whisk egg yolks
- Drizzle a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks, whisking quickly to temper the eggs
- Return pot to heat and slowly, pour egg mixture into pot, whisking rapidly
- Cook for 2 minutes more or until thickened
- Pour into bowl and cover with plastic wrap, allowing the plastic to touch the surface of the custard. Chill completely.
- With stand mixer or hand mixer, pour cream and sugar into bowl and beat until soft peaks form
- Thinly slice two bananas into bottom of pie crust and arrange in an even layer
- Pour chilled custard on top of sliced banana layer
- Top with whipped cream and garnish with bananas. Chill for 30 min more.
If you like yummy desserts, check out this amazingly easy creme brûlée: https://www.homelifewithlauren.com/easy-creme-brulee/